Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Taper, Rest and Recovery before my first Olympic distance tri

Friday, Saturday and Sunday were the hardest workout days of this cycle in preparation for my first Olympic distance race. I had double workouts each day which wasn't too bad and I managed ok Thanks for challenaging me Coach Peej). The only hiccup was my brick (when you run immediately after getting off the bike). I had done a 28 mile ride - which was a blast - but for the first time we didn't stop along the way. I haven't even come close to managing my nutrition well on the bike - it means I would have to let go of the handlebars - still scary.  So in a 2:15 ride I only managed one GU and a small bite of a honey stinger.  Needless to say I struggled on my run - it was ugly- but I got it done.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking  forward to my rest day on Monday. I learned a lesson about my nutrition - an area of constant learning-  and it's taken me a couple of days to feel like my energy 'tank' is refueled. Now it's time to let my muscles and body repair and rebuild before the big race.

It has been important, for me, to have developed a good relationship with my Sports Med doctor, Dr Karson Mui. Dr Mui and his staff keep me runnng, riding and swimming. An important part of my pre-race preparation is to see Dr. Mui and have him work on any tightness or aches they may have cropped up (and they usually do during taper).

So now it's a couple of easy workouts, try not to overthink and set unrealistic expectations and remember this has been a blast, and of course, my favorite pre-race breakfast - pancakes!

#E3triteam # E3training #MuiChiropractic

No comments:

Post a Comment