Monday, June 20, 2016

Patriot Half Iron - 2016

Sometimes the success of a race isn't determined by your time - sometimes it's how you feel about your performance and personal accomplishments.  That's how I feel about this year's race - which I know my coach, Patricia Brownell, is happy about.

The Swim - 1:02
While this took longer than last year (4 mins.) I am really happy my performance.  Going into my swim I wanted to control my start and not go out to fast and I wanted to sight better. Last year I went off-course a few times and even started to head towards the 'house', which if you swim at Walden Pond is what you sight as you head to the shore, only problem is that the 'house' was not near the swim exit. This year I stayed right on course, sighting more often, counting buoys and my strokes so I wouldn't forget to sight.  I even managed to calm myself at the beginning and swim 'my' swim.

While I'm happy that I succeeded in these goals, what I am most pleased with is that I didn't panic when I realized that this swim was a bit on the choppy, windy side.  I had gone swimming at Mystic Lake with my friend, Dan McCallum and it was a good thing that I did.  The lake is bigger and the conditions change depending on where you are on the lake and this includes windy choppy conditions. This gave me the confidence that I could manage the chop, stay calm and focused, resulting in a great swim!

The Bike - 3:49
I love riding my bike and have worked on a lot of things during the off-season, most of them to help me improve my balance, comfort level and confidence.  Last year I only drank one bottle of Skratch because I was really nervous about taking my hands off my handlebars.

My goal this year was to drink at least 3 bottles of fluids and hopefully 4.  The challenge for me is that the water stops on this course are located on slight uphills, which for most is probably not an issue, but for me it meant that I needed to let go of the handlebars of my bike, going uphill and toss a bottle and then grab another one.  I had been practicing on some of my long rides - not actually throwing bottles but the action and letting go of my handlebars riding slight uphills to try and get comfortable with the motion on the bike.  Mission accomplished!

Another goal was to improve on my nutrition and take in enough calories to get my run off to a good start.  Below is the plan:

  • 5 GU's - 4 consumed
  • 4 Farbars - 3 .5 consumed
  • 2 bags Barnana bites - 1.5 consumed
Even with the windier conditions on the second loop I was able to keep my nutrition pretty much dead on.  Success!!!

I also executed my race plan, increased my average cadence from 66 rpms to 77 rpms - that was a huge success.  And even in the heat of the race I was able to clip-in without looking.  Last year I was about a mile into the ride before I was able to clip.

The Run - 3:00
This turned out to be the same time as last year.  I was hoping to be a little quicker this year given the huge PR I had at my marathon (20 minutes) but the reality is that I know I don't run well in the heat and we haven't had a lot of hot weather for me to practice in.  That being said, the big difference this year was that my splits were much more even and consistent.  I also discovered -duh - that Coke and GU and the same time can lead to a very unhappy tummy.

My Support Crew
I have never felt so special and fussed over at a race - Ladies you've spoiled me.  My friends Adena Schutzberg and Linda Davey volunteered for the race and made sure I had everything I needed before, during and after the race.  My coach, Patricia Brownell was there cheering me on while I was on the bike course as I came thru on my first loop and when I finished.  Linda and Peej joined me after I left transition on my run.  Linda decided at the last minute to run the entire 13.1 miles with me.  Not only did she keep me motivated (although she did say I might not like her in the end) she also made sure that I stayed cool and hydrated.  She also cheered on other runners on the course encouraging them - she should get a medal for Best Cheerleader!  Also, around mile 6 Peej showed up again and ran we us for a few minutes, checking to see how I was doing with my hydration, my IBS and pace.  

Hitting that Finisher's chute while not the same at the first time - is just as special and amazing.  


Adena used her extensive experience from the ultra-marathons that she has volunteered at and participated in to make sure that I got cooled down and re-hydrated post-race.

And just a little bit of bragging - there were a few 30, 40 & 50 year old guys that got 'chicked' by a 61 year old gal!!!

DREAM BIG
WORK HARD
CHERISH THE JOURNEY!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. So happy for you. Yeah, chicking young guys is fun...

    ReplyDelete