Sunday, October 30, 2016

Marathon training ends before it really begins

The plan was to run Rehoboth Beach again this year.  Peej and I had talked and felt that I may even have another PR in me... not 20 mins but a PR nonetheless.

I went for a ride on Oz (my bike) on a beautiful, sunny Friday afternoon and was hit by a car.  I was lucky because the driver was going slow when she took the right at the lights without signaling or looking.  I was taken to the hospital and Oz was taken to the police station.  Mind you, I was a bit upset when I saw - from the back of the ambulance - the officer stick Oz in the trunk with half of her hanging out.  Once at the hospital they did an MRI to make sure my spleen and kidneys were ok because my back hurt and they cleaned up my elbow and checked my hip.  When the results came back the ER doctor told me - "I have good news - your spleen, kidneys and ribs are fine.  The bad news is you have pneumonia."  That explained the coughing that I thought was just leftover from a cold.  Peej and I talked and decided that the goal for my race would now be to just enjoy it - no trying to PR because of the time I was losing while I waited for my lungs to clear up.

My lungs started to feel much better and I could run without needing my inhaler - YAY - training is back on track.  I did a nice 11 mile long run with Gwen and we made plans to run Battle Rd the following weekend - one of our favorite places to run in the fall.

Training came to a crashing halt - literally - during the week when I went out for an easy 6 mile run and caught my toe on something and fell - hard.  I hit so hard that I broke my glasses (I've never been so grateful that I bought eye glass insurance), the arm of the glasses was embedded in my forehead and I was bleeding profusely.  So, another trip to the hospital in an ambulance.  This time no surprises but stitches and a concussion.  My season is over - no Rehoboth Beach.

I know withdrawing from the race was the right thing to do.  It took 2 weeks for me to be able to run without my head hurting or throbbing.  My first attempt was a run/walk which was frustrating.  This week I was finally able to run without walking, but everything is very slow.  Peej continues to reassure me that my 'speed' will come back and that I won't lose all my fitness.

So I'm officially on an off-season break - something I haven't done in quite awhile.


No comments:

Post a Comment