The week was a quick turn-around, but I made sure that I got my bike hill repeat in on Tuesday night with my #E3 tri teammate, Stephanie. This went well and I managed to get 3 repeats in, one more than the week before - I'm getting stronger and more confident (faster will come).
This race was unusual in that it was on a Saturday - this foiled my pre-race favorite meal.... pancakes for breakfast the day before - I had to settle for oatmeal - some how not the same. Friday after work, Beth, Jerome and I headed to Wright's Pond (the resident only beach in Medford) for a quick, short swim. This was followed by whats becoming a post-swim habit - dinner from Bob's, a local Italian food and sub store.
Race morning was quickly here and the this time Mother Nature didn't disappoint. The weather was perfect - sunny, dry and warm. We pack up our gear (you need a lot of 'stuff' for tri's)and head up to Amesbury.
This time I was a little less flustered by the process of picking up my number, getting my body markings and setting up my bike in transition. The set-up was a little different because you had a marked row but not space so I picked the end spot for a couple of reasons: 1 - hoping it would be easier to find my bike without my glasses after the swim and 2 - the marking on the beside my bike - Run Out and an arrow pointing the way (this will be important later). I proceeded to set everything up as organized as I could and headed to required meeting with Jerome and Beth (who were set up long before me).
After listening to the rules, getting information about the course and where to enter and depart transition, it was time to get my wet suit on and head to the water. I did much better getting my wet suit on than I did than I did earlier in the week.... it didn't quite take a village this time.
The swim:
I was really nervous heading to the start line. Unlike Whaling City this race didn't have a beginners wave so I would be starting with my age group but I remembered Peej and Karen telling me to seed myself at the back. Also, on the website the race said that different colored swim caps would be available new or nervous swimmers. During check in I was told that they didn't have any other colors with them but they wrote "NOVICE" on my swim cap and assured me that the people on the stand up paddle boards and in the kayaks would be able to see that and would keep an eye on me. Ok, this was not reassuring me - there was no way anyone was going to see the writing on the sides of my head since the sides of my head are supposed to be in the water every 3 breathes, if I'm bi-lateral breathing the way I'd practiced. Swim cap aside - I was ready to start. The first length of the swim went fairly well and I tried hard to remember to swim MY race, stay within myself and not get caught up in going out too fast - its a bachata not a merengue... that's the mantra that I repeat to myself.
What I didn't mention is that the wave behind me included the Clydesdale's - not a small bunch of guys and some pretty speedy. About 20 yards from the 1st buoy turn some of the guys started to catch up to me and I was getting clobbered pretty regularly. I have to say that I was pretty pleased with myself for not panicking. I had done a decent job sighting was on my line for the first turn.... unfortunately so were the guys.... I didn't care - I wasn't swimming any further than I had to and kept my line. Phew - one turn down - one to go. By the time I got close to the second turn buoy the wave behind me had pretty much caught up and I was in the middle of them at turn 2. In swim class we had practiced keeping your line on the turn, sighting and not giving up your 'space' and dammit.... I was NOT going to be pushed off my line - I had worked too hard to get the turn. Turn 2 done - relief - I flip on my back for a couple of seconds to re-group and then flip back and head for the beach.
When I walked out of the water I felt like I had won a million dollars. I was so excited and relieved that I walked for a few steps and then remembered - oh crap - this is a race.... more to do!
Transition 1 -
Thank goodness no one had a video going because I couldn't get my wet suit off my ankles. I used Trislide to make it easier but I had bunched the legs of the wet suit making it harder on myself. I finally got the right leg out but was still struggling with the left... oops silly ... the timing chip is there.... and off it comes. I quickly put on my socks, bike shoes, grabbed my Bonker Breaker bar, had a GU washed down with Diet Coke (no Beet-It shots this time) and headed out of transition for my ride. I knew that I had spent too much time in T1 and was trying to run to the mount line and almost dropped my bike and then when I got to the mount line I lost a few seconds trying to get my foot clipped so I could take off.... Success - I'm off on my bike.
Bike ride:
This course was bit different than the one at Whaling City - it was only one loop and had some decent hills and a couple of sharp right hand turns (not very good at these). I head off and focus on calming myself down - the first turn was about 1/4 mile from the start. I get around the first corner, feel calmer and off I go. It was a pretty course and I could see riders ahead of me - so I had a couple of rabbits. The ride felt really good and I was feeling strong but I knew there were some hills so I tried to stay closer to the 'comfortable' zone than the "comfortably hard zone". About 7 miles into the ride I finally reached one of my 'rabbits' and unbelievably enough ready to pass her. I followed the rules and announced 'on your left' and her response was to move to the left. I would've had to cross the yellow line to pass so I dropped back - a little discouraged but reviewing in my head the rules again and trying to figure out how I was going to do this. So I picked up my speed and again announced ' on your left' and her response was the same. So now I'm a bit pissed off - pull back and wait... and then I see my opportunity - I quickly change to my biggest gears, start picking up my speed, check behind to make sure I don't impede another rider, and BOOM ! - this time I announced 'on your left' when I was almost past her. Peej - I think this makes me a cycling 'racer'. I never saw her again.
One last long hill was left - it looked a bit steeper than the Park Ave access road but not as long. As I start up the hill I can see several riders walking their bikes up the hill - it was at that point that I decided that was not option for me - that I could do this. Thanks Jorge for the 'easy' hill repeats. I hunkered down and talked myself up the hill, slowly, but steadily, UP! Get in your low gear, pull up with your quads, you can do this - you've done it before - I repeated this over and over until I crested the hill. No time to revel in the accomplishment this is a race.... increase your gears - more butt to kick.
Just as a point of information - the people that I passed never re-passed me (and they were in earlier waves). I see Greg as I head to the dismount line cheering me on and that gives me a nice little burst of energy and I head into T2 feeling pretty good - hot but good.Transition 2
This transition took a bit too long for a couple of reasons -
Disadvantage of being a slow swimmer is that by the time I got back from my ride a lot of people had finished not only their rides but their runs as well - this means they are milling around in transition and I have to fight my way around them with my bike.
I get to my gear, helmet off, visor on, drink of Diet Coke to wash down a GU , sneakers on, struggle with laces (damn) and I'm ready for my run
Remember I told you about the "Run Out" on the ground beside my bike - the arrow was pointing in the wrong direction - fortunately Greg was standing there encouraging me and yelled at me that I was going the wrong way.... no wonder there wasn't anyone in my way. Oh well, I off for my run..
Run -
After gathering myself, I'm trying not to go out to fast (thanks for lending me your watch Greg - although it may have suffered a bit of a shock from the slow pace ;) ). By the time I make the first corner - I begin to realize that I'm actually going to finish this - I know how to run, I can do this in my sleep - hell I can even walk if I want to. I don't walk of course and I continue to pass people here and there.
I can see the last short hill that leads to the finish - I can feel myself starting to wheal up with emotion.... and I think to myself - knock it off Ruthanne - you still have to finish and do it strong. With that I had just enough left in the tank to pick up my pace - now I can see the Finish Line Arch, then Jerome, Beth and Greg. I did it, I did it, I finished a damn triathlon!!!
As I think about the race and transitons, I have lots of lessons that need work but for now I'm just going to relish my accomplishment. The first person I told was my daughter Melissa - she thinks I'm crazy but was really happy for me and my coach Patricia Brownell (Peej). Its amazing what you can accomplish no matter what your age, size, novice or experienced athlete, if you let yourself try and have people around you that support you nothing is impossible.
![]() |
| And - I have a medal |

No comments:
Post a Comment