Wednesday, July 16, 2014

My first triathlon - almost........

Now that the adrenaline has subsided a bit and both my feet are back on the ground - more or less -  a little about my race.  We knew yesterday that there was a good chance that they would need to change the race to a duathlon instead of a tri.  I have to admit that it shook me up a bit - but I have good friends Jerome, Jana, Beth and of course of my Coach - Peej  that helped me get my head back on straight. 


I went to the race this morning prepared for both options.  Jerome and I left in the wee hours and met Beth at the race.  We got our bibs, swim caps and shirts and had my race number and age (is that really necessary) written on my arm and legs.  We walked over to transition and I immediately got overwhelmed - fortunately Beth was in the row behind me and could see what was going on and helped me out. Once everything was set up it was time to head to the start where we met up with Denise Lafreniere Schultz and Frank - it was nice to have other E3 Training Solutions team mates around.  

I was in the Family, Friends and Beginners wave - which was the last wave to leave.  Because of the switch to a duathlon the first leg was a 1 mile run.  Peej had told me to go out slow on the run otherwise it would hurt me on the later legs.  So - I try to do what I'm told and I was the last person in my wave as it went out - the sweep bike was behind me - but I'm pretty used to that so it didn't bother me too much, I was going to hold my pace.  Gradually I passed a couple of people in my wave and made my way back to transition.  I got to T1 and changed into my bike shoes, remembered to put my helmet on and clip it, grabbed my bonk breaker bar, drank my Beet-It juice and headed out (T1 - 2 mins 35 secs).

I headed out onto the course ready to get started.  I had a couple of goals for this leg - 1 - not crash getting off or on and 2 - finish in under 1 hr 10 mins. BUT my secret goal was to finish in under an hour.  Being in the last wave has negatives and positives - the positive was that I didn't have a lot of people around as I started out so it was easier not to get overwhelmed.  The negative was that I didn't have anyone to 'rabbit' on the second loop.  I had a couple of 'oh crap' moments when the fast riders went by me and one insisted on going by on my right - even though I was where I belonged.  Peej had told me to stay in Zone 3 (for my non-running/riding friends -my heart rate zone) and I tried but I felt really good and comfortable so I pushed a little bit and then a little bit more.  By the end of the first loop I had successfully gotten around the hairpin turns, managed to drink and eat while moving, and pushed myself faster than I've gone before - I was averaging 14.9 mph.  I continued on my second loop and actually passed 4 riders and stayed ahead of them.  I finished the ride and headed to transition - very happy - my time 49:49 - I crushed ALL of my goals - I pushed comfortably hard.

I get to T2 and remember to take off my helmet, take a couple of bites of my bar while I put my sneakers on, drink another Beet-It and some diet coke (helps keep my stomach calm - especially when it's hot) and head out for the final part of my race.  Of course, it helped that I had Beth at T2 encouraging me and reminding me that "running is what you do".  (T2 time 2 mins 45 secs.)

I head out for my run remembering all my training and why they call them 'bricks' and that I got through them so I could do this too.  It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  It was hot so I was glad I remembered to put my E3 visor on (thanks Peej).  I didn't push, I let my legs get acclimated and tried to let me heart rate come down.  The course is very pretty and flat so I enjoyed it and thought about what I was about to accomplish.  I may not be fast but damn if my pace isn't consistent - each mile was within seconds of each other.  I could hear the music coming from the finish line and knew I was getting close to the end - and I continued to pick people off - from my wave and the one ahead of me.  
Finishing Whaling City 7/2014

I spied the finsh shute and Beth and Jerome cheering me on and then Denise and Frank.  My pace picked about as I headed to the final mat.  I DID IT!!! And then I cried - tears of elation.  

I never thought any of this would ever be possible.  Because of my double vision and balance issues, and my limited vision on my left side riding a bike always seemed doubtful but riding in a race an impossibility.  Thanks to my friends who have been patient with me and my fears, and my coach who had confidence in me - I have accomplished something AMAZING.  

No comments:

Post a Comment