Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Journey to Chattanooga..... 28 weeks to go

It has been a great couple of weeks of training with some surprising successes. I figured this would be a great time to update my blog so when it gets hard and I doubt myself I can come back and read that a good week is possible.

Up to this point training has been similar to previous 'off-season's - a mix of swim-bike-run throughout the week but with the time schedule moved up a bit.  The past couple of years I wouldn't hit the distances on the bike or in the pool until late-March early April.

The past couple of weeks however, the intensity of my bike rides has increased a lot - or so it seems to me.  In a recent cycling class with Peej we were doing short bursts at maximum watts and in the final couple of bursts I managed to hit 446 watts -for me this is huge since my average is around 120.  Needless to say I was anticipating that my legs would feel pretty trashed the next day and possible sore - I was wrong - I felt fine the following day and was able to do my workouts and hit my targets.

 I've also started having 3 days a week with double workouts and seem to be always running on tired legs.  The surprising part is that this week I seem to be able to run and bike at higher intensities than would've thought possible, and even my swims are getting stronger.  I recently did a long swim workout (2,800 yards) and the last 200 yards were at the same pace as the first 200 yards and I was able to keep my form.

I know that my training will have its ups and downs through this amazing journey and need to celebrate not only successful training weeks like the past couple weeks but also the weeks that I struggle thru knowing that those weeks are even more important.  I need to honor those tough weeks and remember - which in the moment is always hard and I count on my friends and coach to remind me - are the weeks that will help make me stronger.


No comments:

Post a Comment