Well, I think spring is finally here and that means that most of my training is now outside. I run outside year-round but now I can move my long bike rides outside too. There is however, a good and a bad side to being outside..... the bathroom, fridge, and extra food are not in the other room. Its easy to forget, as much as I hate riding on the trainer, how convenient it is to have your bike in your kitchen.
Assessments - For most people, coaches refer to this as 'testing', to see where you are, gauge your improvement and set goals and paces for your season. I have a really hard time with these - so much so that I was able to beg my way out of my swim 'test' last year. It just seems to get into my head and is a pass or fail. Logically, I know that's not what it is but my brain just goes to an all or nothing place.
My first thought was to try and beg my way out of my swim test - so I texted Peej and got a very short, simple response - "IM". That kinda took care of that so I decided that I needed to come up with a better term and way of looking at this phase of my training, especially when it comes to my swimming. I came up with 'assessment' - to me this is about more than speed. Its about how did I feel, was I able to keep my form, was I able to stay focused. This seemed to help and I went into my 'assessments' for each sport with a new outlook - yes, I care if my pace is picking up but I also care about how I feel and how quickly after the exertion I recover and my heart rate and breathing comes down.
Race Wheels - Over the winter I decided that I would buy 'race' wheels for Oz. For my non-cyclist friends - race wheels are typically carbon and much lighter than regular wheels. They offer a smoother, more forgiving ride. But they also offer a challenge, which I found out about over the weekend - the wind catches them and moves the bike more than regular wheels. Something new to learn.... but they make Oz look a bit fierce!
Pee Sticks - I know - a weird topic. I've started reading Roar, by Stacy Sims - (thanks Stacy Sweetser for the recommendation). The premise of the book is that women are not pint size versions of men and simple making things smaller and pink won't meet a woman's unique needs.
One of the first things I read about was 'pee sticks'. You've all seen them doctor's offices - nothing fancy. Stacy uses this quick and easy stick to help her ensure that she's hydrated. But it can also offer extra insight into how recovered you are and even if you need more carbs. Being the data nerd that I am and former nurse, I'm finding this helpful and another training tool - if helps keep me on my toes and hydrated.
Other Happenings....
Boston Triathlon Team - I went for my first group ride with my new tri team. These guy were so great and waited for me at every intersection - God Bless them - I'm much slower than they are and add the hills of Harvard to mix and now you're talking turtle slow.
Patriot Half Course - Drove down to E. Freetown and rode the bike course 2 times. It was an interesting ride - I had 2 Adena/Adina's !!!
Swim Lessons - I 'graduated' from my private lessons at Sweetwater Swim Studio and feel more confident about the Chattanooga swim, with or without my wet suit. Thank you Stacy for your patience!
No comments:
Post a Comment