Sunday, June 18, 2017

My 3rd Patriot Half Ironman

I wasn't sure how this was going to go.  The weather this Spring hasn't been very conducive to OWS (open water swimming). I was only able to get in 3 swims at Mystic Lake the rest of my swimming has been done in the pool and at my lessons with Stacy Sweetser at Sweetwater Swim..  I knew I had the distance I was just concerned about sighting practice and executing what I'd learned in my lessons with my wet suit on.

Another thing of concern was the run.  I mucked up my knee the beginning of May - no meniscus or ACL damage,  per my ortho  - but I haven't been able to run more than 3.5 miles in prep for the race.

My cycling however, has been going really well and Adena and I rode the course several times so I was really familiar with it and where the turns and hills were.

Race Day Morning - As always the begins really early - 3:00 AM.  I was picking Adena up and I wanted to make sure I was on time.  The weather was rather dismal as we headed out and there were those little lightening bolts on the weather app that had me a bit concerned.  As we were setting up it started raining and was foggy.  This is the first triathlon I've done where it was raining.  I've done running races in rain and snow but all 3 sports.... this was going to be something new and had me a little unsettled.

Swim - 54:06 - This was a 3 mins 26 second course PR and a 53 second overall PR!!!!
The swim start for this race is time trial start which means that you start 2 x 2 every 5 seconds.  Adena went in ahead of me and I tried to stay behind for a couple of people - just so she could get going.  I knew she'd be fine after that and would probably finish ahead of me.

I was really surprised that I PR'd in this swim - I felt like I was really struggling and that it just wasn't going to be my swim day.  But, I kept trying to use the things that Stacy taught me.  I tried the 'Mississippi' - that's one of the strategies she gave me to help with my breathing, that wasn't working so I just kept talking to myself.  Reminding myself to sight.... it was really hard - and I got kicked in the head a few times which was a little unsettling.  And of course, the doubt crept in... would I be able to swim an Ironman distance... ok... no time for that.  And then another strategy Stacy gave me came to mind... keep moving forward.... don't just take a stroke but take it to move forward.  That seemed to really help me get back on track and finished up.

T1 - 6:26 too long
This year we had wetsuit strippers so I should've been able to get in and out of transition faster but with everything being so wet it was really tough.  And I got my socks on but then had to take one of them off again because there was sand and stuff in them.  But I didn't dawdle and went as quickly as I could.

Bike - 3:44:31 An overall PR... not by much but a PR!
This went really well and I was able to accomplish a few things that made me really pleased.  I keep my gels in a flask and last year my tri-top had pockets similar to my bike jerseys so it was easy.  My new tri-top has different type of pocket that you slide things in from the side.  I only had one short ride pre-race to practice on so I put more gel packets in my bento box, just in case.  But I was able to grab it easily and even use both sides of my jersey.... YAY - I'm getting more comfortable and confident letting go of my handlebars - even when its windy.

It was great to see my Somerville RoadRunners, E3 friends and my new Boston Triathlon Team mates and friends on the course.    I was really happy when Jana Richtrova went by me and I was almost finished my first loop - in the past I was further behind.

T2 - 6:32 - again too long
Again, I think a lot of the trouble  was because stuff was everywhere.  My things were under a bunch of other things, mine and others.  Again, did my best and didn't dawdle and headed out.

Run - long
As I headed out Peej joined me for the first little bit to check on me and my knee.  We chatted for a few minutes and we were running at a slower pace but one that we decided I should stay at ... but most importantly - to be smart about it, if my knee started to hurt I was to stop.

While I'm really happy about the PR in my swim and bike, I'm equally as happy with my run, even though I had to walk after mile 8ish.  Up to that point I ran continuously - walking only thru the aide stations.  At mile 4ish, I did walk a little longer to talk to another athlete that was having a really bad run.  She was to the point that she couldn't hold down any fluids and she wasn't sure about continuing.  We chatted a bit, and the only advise I could give her was what my coach would've told me - sometimes its important to call it day so that you don't end up in the ER or ruin the rest of the season.  But then I picked it back up and kept going.  Around mile 6ish my knee started to talk to me a little and by mile 8ish I decided that this wasn't my A race and that I needed to preserve my knee and not do anything stupid - or as my coach and ortho  said 'Be smart'.

Overall, I'm really pleased with everything about my day and the improvement I see and feel.  And I was so happy that Adena had a great experience - I love my chosen hobby and was glad to share the winter training with her.

Ironman Chattanooga is 14 weeks away

Dream Big
Work Hard
Cherish the Journey!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment